Steps To Take After an Auto Accident
While we certainly hope that you are never involved in an auto accident, we realize that they do happen. That's the reason we're in business; that's the reason you trusted us to find the right auto insurance for you. If you are ever involved in an accident, the following suggestions will help the claim process move ahead smoothly. Please print this out and keep a copy in your glove box.
- Make sure that everyone is unhurt -- in your car and any others involved. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately. Even if you think your injuries are minor, it is probably a good idea to have them checked out -- either at the hospital or with your family doctor. A seemingly minor injury could turn out to be more serious.
- Call the police. They can help defuse a difficult situation and also ascertain who is at fault. Make sure that police on the scene get the names, addresses and phone numbers of all other involved parties. Ask for a copy of the police report from the officer.
- If you happen to have a camera with you -- or a cell phone that is camera ready -- take some photos of the vehicles involved, the general area where the accident occurred, and skid marks.
- If possible, safely move the cars out of the way of traffic.
- Do not admit or discuss liability with anyone other than your insurer.
- Get the following information about everyone involved in the accident: name, address, driver's license number, license plate number, description of car, e-mail address, all phone numbers (home, work, and cell), and auto insurance information. Also obtain contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident immediately to our office. (888) 333-4949
- While the details are still fresh in your mind, write your own account of the accident. Be sure to make note of anything the other involved parties said about their injuries or as to how they may have contributed to or avoided the accident.
The contents of this article have been reprinted with permission from International Risk Management Institute, Inc. (IRMI®). Copyright 2008, IRMI, Dallas, TX.