Underwriters are the foundation of the insurance process. Underwriters evaluate insurance applications and determine the coverage amounts and premium prices. Federated’s profitability depends on selecting and pricing business properly. It’s easy to see that Underwriters play a vital role in Federated’s success.
In addition to evaluating risk and pricing insurance, underwriters work closely with sales, claims, and risk management departments, who also have a role in the underwriters’ efforts to make sound business decisions.
Characteristics of a Successful Underwriter
- Has excellent analytical and decision-making skills.
- Builds relationships and communicates well.
- Has strong administrative and multi-tasking skills.
- Can negotiate and influence others well.
- Has an understanding of the business exposures of our clients in selected industries and how insurance products and risk management practices address these exposures.
Federated provides a combination of classroom and field training experiences for new Underwriters. Some of the core concepts of the training include:
- Becoming familiar with basic underwriting concepts and Federated’s specialized insurance coverages.
- Observing and working with claims, sales, and risk management staff to gain understanding of other functions.
- Gaining actual work experience and learning about our clients’ businesses.
Once you’ve mastered the basics, Federated encourages continued development by working toward nationally recognized professional insurance designations such as the Associate in Underwriting (AU) and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designations. Other in-house training courses are also available. Federated pays exam fees and awards cash bonuses for completion of most insurance-related courses.
See Underwriter: Your Future Opportunity to learn more about the Underwriter Career Path at Federated.